HOMEABOUT MERESUMETUTORIALSMY FAVES

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Holiday Ornaments Tutorial


This tutorial shows how I went about making the holiday ornaments seen in 'The Christmas Money Shot' layout.


The Bo Bunny Noel Christmas line has a few patterned papers with Christmas ornaments printed on them. I didn't want to ruin the patterned paper & I also wanted the ornaments to be transparent so that the flourish I had masked underneath would show through the ornaments. So cutting the ornaments from the paper wouldn't have worked for me. So I decided to attempt to make my own ornaments with transparencies & alcohol inks. This is the result!
Basic supplies needed for the ornaments are: transparencies or acrylic, gold, silver, bronze etc...embossing powder (color all depends on how you want the ornaments to look) embossing ink, alcohol inks (I used Currant & Copper alcohol inks for my ornaments), circle template, die or punch & your choice of stamps.

I cut the acrylic into circles. I inked my alcohol ink applicator with primarily Currant ink & just a few dabs of Copper. I then proceeded to 'tap' the alcohol ink onto my transparency circles. I kept the inking light because I wanted the designs behind the ornaments to show through. If by some reason you make the ornaments too dark just remember to add a few drops of the Blending Solution to lighten the ink.
Notice how in this picture I had Gold Stickles as well on my list of supplies. I didn't end up using them. This happens to me all the time. I improvise as I go.

Here are my ornaments all inked up & ready to be embossed.

I have a flourish stamp set by See D's that were perfect to create the flourishes on my ornaments. I inked the stamp with embossing ink--stamped the flourish on my acrylic & heat embossed the flourish with gold embossing powder. Remember to emboss slowly & at a distance. If you get too close to the transparency, it'll warp. Also remember that you're stamping on transparency/acrylic. This surface is non-pourous & can get slippery. If you apply too much pressure when stamping you may slip & fudge your design--I made did this mistake several times...


Here are my ornaments--ready to be displayed.
Hope you found this tutorial helpful & as always thank you for stopping by!
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I love that stamp set! I need to come over and raid your stamps. You have so many that look brand new... and probably are! We have to get together and 'share' supplies because sharing is caring! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! I didn't realize even the Christmas ornaments were made from scratch! These are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thank you for stopping by!